RASHTRIYA MILITARY SCHOOLS: A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE

about-me KING GEORGE V

The British as part of their welfare schemes established King George Royal Indian Military Schools (KGRIMS) which was later known as King George Royal Military College (KGRIMC). Two schools came into existence after the First World War with a generous donation of Rs 2.5 lacs out of King George V’s Patriotic fund, with a view to provide quality education to the sons of Indian soldiers, Viceroys Commissioned Officers and Kings Commissioned Indian Officers and prepare them for careers in the Armed Forces.

 

 

about-mePRINCE OF WALES

The foundation stone of the school was laid by the then Prince of Wales in February 1922 and regular classes started in September 1925 at Jalandhar Cant in Punjab. The KGRIMS at Jhelum (now in Pakistan) and KGRIMS at Jalandhar were the first two such institutions to be established in 1925.  The KGRIMS Ajmer was established in 1930. The above institutions were re-designated to KGRIMC in 1945 and two more institutions were established namely KGRIMC Belgaum in 1945 and KGRIMC Bangalore in 1946.

about-meSchool at Jullundhar

 

The schools provided free education to the sons of JCOs, NCOs  and ORs to prepare them for Army examinations including the Indian Special Certificate of Education. The curriculum of the schools was based on military requirements with English as a medium of instruction. The strength of each school was 250 and the staff consisted mostly of military personnel

   

During the World War II the cadets of these institutions were granted emergency commission and subsequently permission was granted for entry of the Cadets to the Armed Forces looking to the training they received at these institutions. The schools were designated as colleges during this time. One hundred more cadets were admitted under the expansion scheme. The eligibility norms were relaxed to facilitate enrolment of near relatives of Army personnel and admissions were thrown open to all branches of Armed Forces.

   

After partition in 1947, the KGRIMC, Jhelum which was in Pakistan was named as 'Military College Jhelum' and the Cadets / ex-students called / identified themselves as 'ALAMGIRIANS'. After Independence, a Parliamentary Committee headed by the renowned educationist Dr. H N Kunjru recommended reorganization of these schools on Public School lines like the Doon School Dehradun, Lawrence School SanawarMayo College Ajmer etc and in 1952, the Ghosh Committee recommended changes in the objectives of these institutions. The Cadets were now free to join any profession without the obligation to compulsorily join the Armed Forces. In the same year the schools also became the founder members of the  Indian Public School Conference  (IPSC).

   

KGRIMC Jalandhar shifted to Nowgong in Madhya Pradesh. In 1952, these institutions at Nowgong, Ajmer, Belgaum and Bangalore were re-designated to King Georges School (KGS). The school at Nowgong shifted to Chail near Shimla in Himachal Pradesh in 1960. In 1962 the fifth school started at Dholpur in Rajasthan. In Jan 1966 these institutions were re-designated as Military Schools and in June 2007 as Rashtriya Military Schools.

   

These five prime institutions under the Ministry of Defence have contributed immensely to our nation, owing to the Cadets in Defence of our country in time of war and peace and also in other fields. During the last 88 years, many Cadets of these institutions have risen to the rank of Generals, Air Marshals and Admirals, Secretaries to Govt. of India and to top positions in the Police and Paramilitary Forces. Many have established industries and reached international level recognition in their fields and also held / holding high positions in the multinational / public and private sector companies. Also a number of cadets are Ministers and Members of Parliament, renowned surgeons, scientists etc. The cadets from these institutions call themselves 'GEORGIANS'